Rodrigo Alberto Rocamora
Rafael de la Torre
Jordi Peña Casanova
Luis Alberto Pérez Jurado
The mission of the Neuroscience Programme (NP) at the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute is to support basic and clinical research that will lead to a better understanding of mental and neurodegenerative illnesses.
The pathologies to be studied by the NP include:
• Addictions/substance abuse pharmacology
• Mental health (anxiety/anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder)
• Osteoarticular pain
• Intellectual disabilities/rare diseases
• Nutrition cognition and cardiovascular risk
The NP has several technological resources to carry out this mission:
• Animal models of diseases (intellectual disabilities, pain, affective disorders, drug abuse, and state-of-the-art in vivo electrophysiology systems in freely-moving mice) to study the neurobiology of diseases, and cognitive and affective responses to drugs or to other therapeutic approaches.
• Complex analyses of neural activity (big data).
• Biomarkers (targeted metabolomics studies of neurotransmission systems, steroids and endocannabinoids, of drug exposure) in neuroepithelial olfactory cells (proxy model of proneurons)
• Neuroimaging techniques in humans
• Clinical Research Unit (accredited by the Catalan Government)
• To promote and support excellence in basic and clinical research, including co-morbidities with other health problems, and to provide opportunities for transversal and collaborative research with IMIM programmes and Parc de Salut Mar services.
• To encourage multidisciplinary research, including the opportunities provided within the IMIM framework at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB) in order to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and improve treatment and health services.
• To guarantee the promotion of holistic research among students and clinicians through their training in all aspects of neuroscience, mental health and addictions.